THE FARM

Monday, February 9, 2009


February 9, 1999


It was a Tuesday
I remember it like it was yesterday
It was one of the worst days of my life
I had talked to her doctor that morning
He said she was doing better
She would probably go home soon but should not be alone
I went to the church
I talked with Ken, and told him I thought I was going to go
down there this weekend and bring them home
I remember Verna coming into the office and telling me she was gone.
The worst part...thinking of Dad down there by himself...
calling my siblings and telling them....
calling Nancy and breaking her heart.


Sunday dinner, February 8, 2009....ten years

Remembering Helen...

We had a grand time yesterday...eating all our favorite foods..
toast and cheese...
bread and beans....
salmon bones...
chocolate cake with caramel frosting..
oatmeal cookies...
red jello and orange with carrots (ok, so those didn't go over so well)
sharing memories...pictures...laughing...

I love our Sunday dinners
Then of course...Nancy's show
I think she wrote the song herself...especially for them
It was perfect...You are amazing Nancy...Thanks for the memories.

But here's what I wanted to say last night..
Since 1999...5 of her grandkids have gotten married and brought
beautiful spouses into our family....she has had 7 more great-grandkids
that will never know her except throught the stories we tell them.
Two more precious bundles on the way...she would have loved them all

I remember her strength...and the pain she endured through
all those years of arthritis...dialysis...
"One day at a time" she would say.
The legacy she has left us will go on
for ten times ten years to come.
Tell them your stories
Love your families
For her


"Our family is a Circle of Strength and Love
With every birth and every union, the circle grows.
Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger.”

Our circle got stronger yesterday.

Wish you all could have been here...check out Nancy's blog,
I'm sure she'll post the show.

Love you all...the teller!



2 comments:

Patty said...

Ok Susie, so I am tearing up at work. Mom is missed so much by all. She would have loved each and everyone of the additions to our family. I was so glad to be a part of yesterday, I missed not being able to come to sunday dinners and just being a part of the family.
Love
Patty

james and michele said...

oh i so wish we could have been there yesterday. not just for the comfort food, but for the comfort of family.

thanks for this.